Sunday, November 14, 2010

St. Francis and Alzheimer's? Yes!


I have this sign on the inside of my front door to help me remember what I might need when I leave the house...and to remind me who is in charge.

The picture is from the labyrinth at the San Damiano Franciscan Retreat Center in Danville, so this sign also reminds me that as my brain becomes a labyrinth, in the center of the maze is always a loving God.










On the outside of my front door is a plaque I bought at the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi, Italy. It reminds me and my friends "Peace and All Good", the Franciscan greeting.







This is the Tau cross of St. Francis. And here is God's paradox: "Tau" is also the name of a protein in the brain that, when defective, can result in Alzheimer's disease.

So I will wear my Tau cross to keep on the loving side of that paradox, and I bet it will work better than any medication I might end up taking.






..and this is the cherry tree in Assisi I rested under after a hike to the place where St. Francis and his followers went for retreat (and that day was the most beautiful day of my life, other than the day my son was born). I describe how Francis led me on that hike here:
St. Francis leads the way 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful blog! I look forward to reading more. St. Francis has a very special place in my heart--the St. Francis prayer is a cornerstone in my daily life, and has seen me through some very dark times. And my grandfather had Alzheimers, before there was the understanding about it that there is today--he had very little support or compassion from the family, which I still grieve today. The way you are dealing with the situation, the positive approach, the opening of the heart, is an inspiration. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete