Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's official...what the neurologist said

The bad news first:

After giving me some more cognitive tests (I drew a clock with time at 11:10 correctly except for the short/long hands -- I resisted the urge to go digital) and neurological tests (I can walk a heal-to-toe straight line -- another blessing of sobriety), the UC Davis Alzheimer's Disease Clinic neurologist stated that my Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) is the variety that is the precursor to Alzheimer's and that I may "need more assistance in the near future." The official lingo is Amnestic Multiple Domain MCI.

He recommended I drive only short distances to familiar places. He recommended I put a sign on my stove -- "Use the Timer" -- and use microwave meals whenever possible.

..now the good news:

I will be taking part in the groundbreaking Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) which is so waaay cool -- not run by Big Pharma, and they will advise all the latest research.

More important -- I absolutely insist upon enjoying life..."we will see where our experience can benefit others" -- and as 1 out of 8 baby-boomers will be joining me on this road, I want to demonstrate how you can lose your mind AND have a good time doing it. WHY NOT?? I want to turn this around from the "long good-bye" to the "long hello to something COMPLETELY different"...where is Monty Python's giant foot when I need it?..oh...here it is:


In truth, my future will probably be a lot harder on my beloveds (if you're reading this, you are one of them) than on me. And I don't want to minimize that this is serious stuff...but no person, place, thing, or illness gets to define who I am, and I am (and will continue to be)

-- meganthemegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment